Before deciding which best broker to put your money with, consider several factors, including the number of investment options available and the customer service available.
1. Several Investment Options
Diversification is an effective investment strategy, so spread your investments across various asset classes. Among the investment options are:
Stocks, Futures, Options, ETFs, and Mutual Funds.
Bond futures are not available from every broker. If you know futures will be part of your investment strategy, look for a best broker who can meet your requirements. Otherwise, most investors will be satisfied with a general mix of common investment options.
2. Low Trading Costs
Whether you intend to be an active trader or a more passive one, it’s critical to consider the cost of trading the various types of investment products, because seemingly minor fees can quickly add up. Expect to pay trading fees on the following investment trades, with the exception of no-fee mutual funds:
- Contracts for future
- Mutual funds
The cost of trading a bond ranged from $1 to $76 among the brokers surveyed. Compare trading costs across brokers for the type of investment vehicle you intend to invest in the most to determine which will be the most cost-effective for your needs. The best brokers and effective one will have low fees.
3. A Variety of Account Types Are Available
Some brokers can serve as your one-stop shop for all of your investment accounts, whereas others may not offer all of the account types you require. Keep this in mind when selecting a best broker. You might be interested in the following account types:
- Traditional IRA Brokerage
- Roth IRA
- 529 college savings plan
4. Low initial investment required
Many brokers, but not all, will require a minimum investment to open an account. Depending on your financial situation or investment objectives, you may not want to invest thousands of dollars at first.
Because Ally Invest, Fidelity, and TD Ameritrade do not have a minimum account opening requirement, they may be the best option for new investors or those who do not have enough disposable income to open accounts with a high minimum.
Note that some brokers won’t require a minimum amount to open an account, however, some investments might. Do your homework before settling on a best broker.
5. Customer Service that is easily accessible
Depending on how advanced you want to get, investing can be a complicated process. And when you need help, you want to know that you’ll be able to get it quickly.
Look for a best broker who offers financial advisors, 24/7 customer service, and live chat so you can get answers as soon as you need them. Choose a best broker with a mobile app if you like to be able to check your accounts and make trades on the go.
7. Special or introductory offers
Although the best promotional offer does not always imply the best broker, it can be a welcome bonus for a broker who already checks all of your other boxes.
Cash bonuses and free trades are examples of promotions. You must meet certain requirements to qualify for these promotions, so read the fine print before committing to any broker.
Other Things to Consider that Best Brokers Must Have
Other considerations should be made depending on the type of investment account you wish to open.
Traditional and Roth IRAs: When looking for the best Roth IRA or traditional IRA, you should consider service fees, commision fees, monthly maintenance fees, early withdrawal fees, and closeout fees.
- Roth IRAs and traditional IRAs: When deciding on the best Roth IRA or traditional IRA, you should consider service fees, commission fees, monthly maintenance fees, early withdrawal fees, and closeout fees.
- 401(k) companies: Examine participant fees, withdrawal fees, and asset-based fees that you and/or your employees may have to pay depending on the broker if you’re looking for a 401(k) company for your small business or simply want to see where your current 401(k) provider stands.
The best 401(k) firms will have low or no fees and a wide range of investment options.
- Robo-advisors: Depending on the broker, you may or may not be required to pay a service fee. Some of the best robo-advisors do not charge a fee for their services.
- Online stock brokers for beginners: The best online stock broker for beginners will give you easy access to financial advisors who can assist you in making sound investment decisions and learning more about the best investing strategies.
More from BigMoney: